How to block websites on Google Chrome
- Whether it’s to focus on a task at work or to prevent your kids from visiting sites you don’t want them to see, by blocking websites on your Google chrome browser can often be a good idea.
- Use of free and easy-to-use software Chromium extension called BlockSite, you can perform the process of blocking sites on Chromium as easy as two clicks.
- There are several applications that can help you block sites when you access the web through Chromium on a mobile device as well.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
There are many reasons why you might want to block a website on Google chrome.
Maybe you are installing computers that will be used in a school, or you are installing a system for your own child at home. Or maybe you know your own tendency to get lost during the workday, browsing Reddit or Instagram when you should, you know, be working.
Whatever the reason you are blocking websites on Google chrome, the process of doing it is easy. You just need to install and learn how to use a simple extension called BlockSite.
How to block websites on Google Chrome on desktop
Sign in to your Google account, then click on your URL search bar at the top of the screen.
1. Google the words “site extension blocking”.
2. Click on the link “Block Site – Website Blocker for Chrome ™ – Google Chrome”, which will likely be the first or second result.
3. Click on the blue box at the top of the screen that says “ADD TO CHROME”.
4. In the pop-up window, tap “Add extension”.
Now in the top right corner of your screen you should see an orange shield icon with a cancel symbol. Click that icon, then tap the gear icon at the top of the pop-up to access settings.
In the BlockSite settings, you must configure a password and take into account the time-based “Working mode” blocking settings.
Once you do, you’ll be ready to start blocking sites. There are two ways to do this:
1. From the BlockSite settings page, click “Block sites” at the top of the left menu, then manually enter the websites to block in the right bar.
2. Go to the website you want to block and click on the red BlockSite shield, then press “Block this site” in the pop-up window.
You can also block sites based on the language contained in their URLs under the “Block by words” tab in the BlockSite settings page.
If you want to change the blocked status of a site, you can click on the shield, go to settings, and go to the Block sites tab. Click on the red circle with a white line to instantly unblock the site in question.
How to block websites on Google Chrome on mobile
If you want to block websites using an Android phone, you can use the BlockSite application from the Google Play Store. There are many other third-party apps that work on Android phones as well, but we recommend using BlockSite.