GEICO Patriot League Football Player of the Week Announcement (9.27.21)
BETHLEEM, Pennsylvania – Lafayette won two of four GEICO weekly Patriot League football awards when the league office announced the honors on Monday. Colgate and Fordham collected the remaining weekly honors.
Fordham senior quarterback Tim DeMorat was named GEICO Patriot League Football Offensive Player of the Week after throwing for 280 yards and four TDs in the Rams’ 31-14 win over Stony Brook.
Lafayette senior linebacker Billy Shaeffer won the Patriot League Football GEICO Defensive Player of the Week of the Week after finishing with two interceptions, including a 41-yard interception return for a touchdown in the 24-14 victory over Leopards vs. Penn. Lafayette first-year quarterback Ah-Shaun Davis was awarded the Patriot League GEICO Rookie of the Week award after throwing for 157 yards and a touchdown in the Leopards’ first win over the Quakers since 2012.
Colgate sophomore kicker Jacob Jaworski was awarded Patriot League Football GEICO Special Teams Player of the Week after going 3-for-3 on field goals and 2-for-2 on the PATs in the Raiders’ 30-3 win over Lehigh.
Colgate senior quarterback Grant Breneman, Fordham senior linebacker Ryan Greenhagen, Georgetown senior wide receiver Cameron Crayton and senior linebacker Justin Fonteneaux, Holy Cross senior wide receiver Tenio Ayeni and junior linebacker Jacob Dobbs, the Junior wide receiver Lafayette Joe Gillette, all received honorable mentions for their performances on Saturday.
Patriot League Football Players of the Week are selected in a vote by members of the League media and each school’s sports information directors, who are not allowed to vote for their student-athletes .
2021 Patriot League Football Rankings (as of September 27)
|School||Globally||Global PCT.||Globally||Global PCT.|
|the holy cross||0-0||.000||3-1||.750|
Patriot League Week 5 Football Schedule – Saturday October 2
Yale to Lehigh (ESPN +) – Noon
Colgate to Georgetown (ESPN +) – 12:30 p.m.
Harvard at Holy Cross (ESPN + / Spectrum News 1) – 1:30 p.m.
Cornell to Bucknell (ESPN +) – 3:30 p.m.
Fordham to Lafayette (ESPN +) – 3:30 p.m.
PATRIOTS LEAGUE OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Tim DeMorat, Fordham, Sr., QB, Merritt Island, FL / Viera
* DeMorat completed 21 of 33 passes for 280 yards and four touchdowns in Fordham’s 31-14 win over Stony Brook.
* The senior quarterback hit 11, four, 18 and 40 yard touchdowns for the second four touchdown game of his career.
* His 44 career touchdown passes put him fifth in Rams history, and his 6,361 career passing yards rank him 11th among active quarterbacks in the FCS.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE FOOTBALL WEEK PATRIOT LEAGUE
Billy Shaeffer, Lafayette, Sr., LB, Warrington, PA / Archbishop Wood
* Shaeffer finished with eight team-leading tackles, one half-sack and two interceptions, including a 41-yard touchdown return to lead Lafayette to a 24-14 victory over Penn.
* The senior linebacker returned a 41-yard interception for a touchdown in the third quarter to extend Lafayette’s lead to 10 points.
* His second interception came with 3:51 left in the fourth quarter, allowing the Leopards to miss time in their first win against Penn since 2012.
PATRIOT LEAGUE SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Jacob Jaworski, Colgate, So., Placekicker, Wilmington, Del./Wilmington Friends School
* Jaworski connected on his three field goals, hitting 27, 34 and 40 career yards in the Raiders’ 30-3 win over Lehigh in their season opener in the Patriot League.
* The second-year kicker also made his three extra point attempts in the win.
* Jaworski is a perfect 4-for-4 on field goal attempts this season.
PATRIOTS LEAGUE OF THE FOOTBALL ROKIE OF THE WEEK
Ah-Shaun Davis, Lafayette, Fr., Quarterback, Willingboro, NJ / Willingboro
* Davis completed 12 of 18 passes for 157 yards and a touchdown to lead Lafayette to a 24-14 victory over Penn.
* In his second career start, Davis threw a 70-yard touchdown pass to senior receiver Joe Gillette to put the Leopards permanently ahead at the 6:34 mark in the third quarter.
* The 70-yard touchdown pass was Lafayette’s longest scrum game this season.
Grant Breneman, Colgate, Sr., QB, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania / Cedar Cliff
* Breneman finished with 268 yards of total attacking (169 assists and 119 rushing) with a passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown in Colgate’s 30-3 win over Lehigh.
Ryan Greenhagen, Fordham, Sr., LB, Sparta, NJ / Pope John XXIII
* Greenhagen finished with 16 tackles, 2.0 TFL and an interception to lead the Rams defense in a 31-14 win over Stony Brook. He’s recorded double-digit tackles in all four Fordham games this season.
Cameron Crayton, Georgetown, Sr., WR, Rowlett, Texas / Rockwall
* Crayton posted career highs for the second straight week, finishing with eight catches for 190 yards and one touchdown in Georgetown’s loss to Columbia.
Justin Fonteneaux, Georgetown, Sr., LB, Houston, Texas / Lamar
*Fonteneaux recorded a career-high 17 tackles and 1.5 TFL in Georgetown’s loss to Columbia.
Tenio Ayeni, Holy Cross, Sr., WR, Allen, Texas / Allen
* Ayeni finished with a career-high 107 receiving yards and two touchdowns in Holy Cross’s 45-15 win over No. 19/20 Monmouth. It was the senior wide receiver’s first multi-touchdown game since scoring twice against Monmouth in 2017.
Jacob Dobbs, Holy Cross, Jr. LB, Macomb, Michigan / De La Salle Collegiate
* Dobbs recorded 12 tackles and 3.0 sacks for a 21-yard loss in the Crusaders’ 45-15 win over No.19/20 Monmouth. He also had a reception on a false punt for a 41-yard gain.
Joe Gillette, Lafayette, Jr., WR, Strongsville, Ohio / Strongsville
* Gillette scored both of the Leopards’ offensive touchdowns in their 24-14 win over Penn. He rushed for a 29-yard touchdown in the second quarter and caught a 70-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter, finishing with 140 all-purpose yards.
Offensive player of the week
9.6 – Matthew Sluka, Holy Cross, So., QB
9.13 – Tim DeMorat, Fordham, Sr., QB
9.20 – Matthew Sluka, Sainte-Croix, So., QB
9.27 – Tim DeMorat, Fordham, Sr., QB
Defensive player of the week
9.6 – Ryan Greenhagen, Fordham, Sr., LB
9.13 – Ryan Greenhagen, Fordham, Sr. LB
9.20 – Jacob Dobbs, Holy Cross, Jr., LB
9.27 – Billy Shaeffer, Lafayette, Sr., LB
Special teams player of the week
9.6 – Derek Ng, Holy Cross, Jr., PK
9.13 – Conor Hunt, Georgetown, So., P / PK
9.20 – Derek Ng, Holy Cross, Jr., PK
9.27 – Jacob Jaworski, Colgate, So., PK
Rookie of the week
9.6 – Justin Fisher, Bucknell, Fr., DL
9.13 – James Conway, Fordham, Fr., LB
9.20 – James Conway, Fordham, Fr., LB
9.27 – Ah-Shaun Davis, Lafayette, Fr., QB
ABOUT THE LEAGUE OF PATRIOTS
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continuously demonstrating that the student-athlete can excel in both academics and athletics without sacrificing high standards. The sporting success of the Patriot League is achieved while its member institutions remain committed to its founding principle of admitting and developing student-athletes who are academically representative of their class. Participation in athletics in the institutions of the Patriot League is considered an important part of a well-rounded education.